Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday 1 June 2012

The Power of an Engaging Idea

Earlier this week I had the good fortune to come across a fabulously funny, moving and deeply creative video.  The link to which is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_v7QrIW0zY  The video is of one man's creative marriage proposal and it is brilliant - if you haven't seen it yet watch it now. 

Right now you've watched it let me make a point that is very simple and yet so seemingly difficult for us to grasp.  People will go to great lengths, at some personal cost to take part in things that they believe in.  The video is a great example.

My challenge, as a man who is trying to help myself, my clients, my team and my organisation drive innovation is to constantly ask myself the question - is the task that I'm asking people to take part in delivering meaningful enough (either directly or by association), fun enough, bold enough or social enough to ensure that those of us taking part can occassionally enjoy those moments of unbridled joy (as witnessed in the video) from carrying out the hard work that makes our lives worthwhile.

Sadly for me, my age and professionalism seem to have taken the edge off me.  Note to self, must try harder - life's too short.

2 comments:

  1. Two weeks on, but I still can't wait to see Rick's live lip-dub consulting proposition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alan - the wait is over - try this link

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKtNtsrs6go

      Delete