Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Guest Blog

Over the next few weeks my blog spot is open to two very special guests who have helped make my life a whole lot easier working with me as my interns over the summer.  Given the early summer interest in the concept of internships from Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg I’ve asked both of them to blog their thoughts on what it’s like to do an internship at Capgemini and I think you’ll find their thoughts interesting.  First up is Tasha Williams
Hello all, I am Tasha. I am a university student at UCL, studying Economics, Statistics and Spanish. I’m looking to go into consulting and have just completed an 8 week internship at Capgemini UK.
I’ve read many articles over the year about a Masters becoming the new undergraduate degree, debates about the return on investment of further education (especially in light of the fee increases), or on the increasing relevance of PHDs, and the decreasing importance of MBAs. However from what I can see, formal qualifications seem to matter less in comparison to an appropriate internship. In fact I’ve been told by recruiters that if I cannot demonstrate a required level of transferable skills, any further education (beyond the necessary undergraduate degree) will not have any impact on a recruiter’s decision. So in my experience, an internship is of paramount importance. For those looking to work in a competitive industry, as they all seem to be now, an internship seems to be a prerequisite that separates successful candidates from the masses.
With that in mind, I have spent my second year at university almost as focused on gaining an internship as on doing well academically. I hoped to have an internship in consulting, which proved rather tricky, with the aim of gaining a real understanding of what a full time job in the industry would be like. Beyond the obvious CV enhancing transferable skills, I wanted to know if consulting would be the right career choice for me, if I could excel at it and while there was still time, learn what I could be doing over the final year of university, beyond achieving impressive results, that would help me to become more successful and ultimately get more out of my career.
The good news is that I managed to secure an internship with Capgemini and I hoped over the 8 week contract that I would gain a real insight into how not only a consulting firm functions, but what Capgemini does to make itself stand out. My ultimate aim was to be able to leave and say that I had contributed – that my time had been worthwhile, that the team would be glad I had been here. I wanted to impress, and I hoped to do that by demonstrating I had the required skills (or at least the ability to develop them swiftly), the right attitude and the ability to adapt and learn quickly.
There is of course the danger of giving up precious time for an internship in which all you end up doing is photocopying and coffee runs, with a minimal amount of learning or contributing. As it has turned out, I’ve done no photocopying but my own, and no coffee runs at all. Instead I’ve worked on a bid for a major client, collaborated on two research projects, been responsible for social media outlets and research, produced monthly reports and reviews, helped with a knowledge management project and written a review of a paper on the effects of the 2008 financial crisis. I was assigned a ‘buddy’ who has made sure that for the duration of my time here I have been fully integrated with my peers, have attended all informative/networking events, and have met all the key people  who could help me understand more about the company and the graduate scheme to which I am now planning to apply. When I first joined, I attended a ‘New Joiners’ course which meant I was treated and felt like an employee from day 1, rather than a university student squeezed in where there was space for me. I’ve worked on the Financial Services desk, which is where I asked to be in my interview, have worked on active projects, and in my humble opinion, made a real, if perhaps small, contribution to the team effort. In my time here I feel I have gained a real understanding of the consulting industry, the challenges it faces, and of Capgemini’s place within it and their key drivers. I have learnt about the company processes, the people, and the working environment, all of which I have gained a deep appreciation for. Through the research projects I’ve worked on I’ve learnt more than I could imagine, and on a very personal level, I’ve learnt more about my own abilities and where perhaps I could improve.
 I was thrown in at the deep end from my very first day and it’s been absolutely exhilarating. I have had a wonderfully tailored, personal and incredibly rewarding experience, in which I feel I have achieved what I aimed to. It has been challenging and stimulating, a little daunting at times, but on the whole amazing and I would effusively recommend Capgemini to anyone.  Although it sounds somewhat clichéd for a consulting firm, truly the best part of my experience here has been the people. Everyone, without exception, has had time to talk to me, to explain anything to me, to discuss everything. Everyone has been wonderfully friendly, helpful and supportive, so my thanks to everyone, it is you who have made this such a wonderful experience.
Special thanks to Rick Freeman, Ian Watts, Tim Dulley, Sarah Moore, Amy Ratcliff, Laure Urrea and the wonderful FS team.

No comments:

Post a Comment