Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday 14 February 2014

Starting My Own Business (Again) – You have to love necessity

21 years ago, I handed my resignation into my boss and took a leap into the unknown.  I’d loved the work I was doing, it was exhilarating and intense but I couldn’t keep on working for a boss who was driving me nuts.  I was burnt out, confused and pretty angry.  Not one to hang about I got straight on it and began the usual process of looking for jobs in the papers, filling in the application forms and turning up for interviews.  Bizarrely, (I thought), despite my best efforts, nothing was coming off.  Looking back, I think the low point was failing to get an interview for a £12K/annum job to be a traffic crossing supervisor coordinator (basically rostering lollipop ladies).   I was smart, I was talented, I had a good degree – I also had a young family and I needed to make something happen.  I started my first business.

Necessity was (and still is) the mother of invention and out of the ashes of my previous education and experiences, fuelled by a passion to succeed, I was able to grow a new business.  My nascent executive coaching business was little more than an idea and some headed paper but it was enough to launch me into a new world and through begging, blagging, taking some big risks and working really hard I managed to establish a suitably successful business.  Over the next 7 years (and a couple of rebrands) I developed a viable management consulting company that taught me lots about life, took me across the world and paid the bills (most of the time).   Unfortunately most of the time was decidedly problematic for me as I now had a bigger family and a sizable mortgage.    Necessity (in the form of an erratic cash flow) kicked my arse again and I folded my business up to join the dark side.

In 2000 I joined Accenture with the sole intention of easing my cash flow and getting a couple of years experience with a “proper” management consultancy under my belt.  Having been my own boss for 7 years I was dreading it.  How wrong I was.  It was a delight, someone else did the billing, the cash collection, the marketing, the HR processes etc.  All I had to do was the selling and delivery work I loved.   I made Partner, made great friends and built a bigger business network.  After six happy years at Accenture I was approached by Capgemini to join them.  I eventually succumbed to their charms and launched into five more happy years at Capgemini. 

However, by the start of 2012 I was beginning to feel unsettled at Capgemini and was beginning to think through my career aspirations.  By the middle of 2013 I had determined I needed to leave and do something new and thus began the search for the next career step.  Not in any hurry I put out some feelers, but didn’t push it.  Like the slowly boiling frog I just couldn’t get my bum in gear.  Then at the beginning of 2014 Capgemini engaged in a restructuring process and made me an offer I literally couldn’t refuse.   A month later and I’d left with a sense of relief and excitement.  Interestingly, rather than rely solely on the talents of recruitment companies to determine my next career step, I find myself starting my own business again.  I’m very excited.


I’m 21 years older, a lot less naive, less angry and considerably more financially stable.  I also have bags of experience and a huge business network.  Ironically it has taken necessity to get me to this position again.  My new company addonova is my second services company start up, providing consultancy services on Digital Innovation and Transformation.   We already have our first contract and I have found that I still have more than enough drive and energy to ensure that I can make the business work.  I do like to prove a point.  So, once again I’m living the innovative entrepreneur’s dream and I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment